[sldev] Reality as a VR Simulator and Model for Secondlife?

Tim Shephard tshephard at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 23:03:10 PST 2008

Cool article via Slashdot

http://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/0801/0801.0337.pdf

Brings me back to the days when Andrew Linden was complaining about
the quantum effects of small objects with SL Physics.

Maybe we should be modeling SL after quantum mechanics?

This was an interesting quote:

"It [his VR Hypothesis] could also solve the quantum measurement
problem, as if our reality is in effect a processing interface, an
observer viewing an object could indeed create it. Similarly in an
online virtual world the entire world is not calculated onscreen at
once. The computer, for practical reasons, only calculates what the
viewer chooses to view after they choose to view it, i.e. screen
calculations are as required. If what we call reality is a
three-dimensional space-time interface, it would likewise be expected
to be calculated only on demand."

Fun stuff and an easy read.   Recommend it to everyone.