[sldev] Making builders/scripters performance conscious. Was: Improving rendering sequence

Jason Giglio gigstaggart at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 11:52:45 PST 2008

Dave Parks wrote:
> plays a large part in the overall sluggishness of the viewer. This is
> part of a philosophy that says it should be possible to build a content
> authoring system where artists don't need to care about performance
> implications, as the software should just deal with whatever comes its

On a related note, I saw mentioned a *long* time ago, a small display in
the client giving users some idea of the load their attachments were
causing.

This was in the context of scripts, but it could be extended to polygons
too.

As you said, the free market takes care of things.  So give users a tool
they can use to measure the products they are buying.  People may leave
bad reviews for the "ultra bling hair" they bought that has open listens
with color changing scripts in all 255 twisted torus prims, if they only
had some way to know that it was their hair that was helping to lag the
sim down.

It doesn't matter that some users won't care, the few that do will do
the job of educating the builder/scripter for you.  Let the free market
put pressure on inefficient creators by giving customers the tools to
see how much lag they are causing.

-Jason