[sldev] Character/Avatar Engine

Mike Monkowski monkowsk at watson.ibm.com
Wed Jan 9 08:43:06 PST 2008

Ian Wilson wrote:
>       So it is possible to route messages from the client to non LL
> servers? Is this a straight forward process or a major client change?

For voice chat, the viewer uses sockets to connect to a separate process
that communicates with the Vivox servers using HTTPS and UDP.  See
http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Voice#Technical

This is a separate message stream from the one going to the Linden Lab
servers.

If you're familiar with sockets, this kind of implementation should be
straightforward, however, unless you're willing to provide servers for
the whole community, you're not likely to get this incorporated into the
standard viewer (although you never said that was one of your goals).

>       One solution could be to "stuff" the data into other messages
> (piggybacking) for now to test the functionality or perhaps use chat
> text as a messaging system (parsing text in the client). As the initial
> phase of what we are doing is a technology demo we have the liberty to
> hack, fortunately.

I'm no expert on the chat channels, but I believe they can be used for
communication between LSL scripts and such.  That might be worth more
investigation.

>> See  http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/User:Mm_Alder/LipSync
>>
>       Great link, very useful for the animation system in general,
> should be more prominent.

The lip sync is still in beta test, not part of the standard viewer yet.

Mike