[META] What's a RC? was: [sldev] Roadmap: 1.19.0 Viewer

Matthew Dowd matthew.dowd at hotmail.co.uk
Wed Jan 9 11:36:51 PST 2008

> At Zero's office horuse yesterday, we were talking about a dev grid
> specifically to test login transfer between OpenSim and Second LIfe and
> back. The concept could be extended to test new forms of IM protocols as
> well.
>
> They MUST be new forms. If you read my abreviated description of the
> current Group IM situation and contrast that with Donovan's plan, you'll
> see that its a huge change in how things work and will need much testing
> to make sure things don't break during the transition.

Yes, but we already have mechanisms for testing these fairly large changes such as the beta grid (as is being used for Havoc4) and firstlook (as is being used for windlight)

We don't have good mechanisms for feedback on minor changes (replacing lag bars with a search box, the 1.19 changes to group IM which seem to be an interim measure coming in somewhat prior to Donovan's changes, etc.) before they get frozen into an RC.

Matthew