[sldev] Roadmap: 1.19.0 Viewer

Argent Stonecutter secret.argent at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 16:48:57 PST 2008

On 2008-01-09, at 16:12, Kelly Linden wrote:
> Even jabber does not support the 'passive listener' mode, where you
> auto join a channel you are 'interested in' when someone says
> something in the channel.

I don't think people have an issue with getting rid of "passive
listener" mode where you "auto join" a channel. You shouldn't be
"auto joining" the channel, you should either be listening or not
listening. The issue is the user interface. What should the impact of
a channel you're not actively participating in be?

Right now, in the corner of my screen, I have a contact list. This is
like the communicator Contacts tab, containing users and groups. They
both behave like contacts in the IM world. Adding a box in Groups
with an "eye" icon (or something) that says you're watching that
group's chat useful,

Anyway, I have a contact list. Until I get a message, that's all I
have. When I get a message from a contact, THEN it adds a tab to the
chat window.

In IRC on the other hand, in the classic IRC text application,
there's only one "tab", and you don't get any space wasted on
channels you're not in.

Why waste space in the tab bar on an empty chat?