[sldev] Roadmap: 1.19.0 Viewer

Lawson English lenglish5 at cox.net
Wed Jan 9 20:20:23 PST 2008

Nicholas Chase wrote:

> Latif Khalifa wrote:
>
>> Many communities/support groups depend on the current behavior. The
>> reason we want this unique solution where IM tab appears on demand is
>> that in SL is the group chat is one of the subsystems that we use all
>> day, its not the main focus of our activities. We do not have screen
>> real estate to have all those group chats tabs open as we would have
>> in a dedicated IRC / other IM client.
>
> Let's also remember that while for us as developers it's just
> something that we use while we're doing other (IMO more interesting)
> things, statistically, socializing is what Second Life is used for
> more than anything else.  If it becomes less useful for regular users,
> that's a problem.

Yep. THe obvious long-term solution is to make teh GUI flexable enough
to support customized IM windows.

But thats going to take a while. Like everything else in SL, to REALLY
do it right, would require  a completely rewritten <your favorte
sub-system goes here> from the ground up. Which isn't going to happen
for a Very Long While.

Lawson