[sldev] Viewer Auth Postponed

Robin Cornelius robin.cornelius at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 10:08:28 PST 2008

Joshua Bell wrote:
> Obviously this decision has a substantial impact on both the code base
> (various branches/trunk) and the schedule (1.18.x, 1.19.x, etc). We're
> going to be meeting today to hash out answers to those. I'll provide
> details as soon as there are any to share.
>
> ("Why is it complicated?" - the integration of the viewer auth work into
> the viewer code base was a substantial project, and several other
> projects have merged into the code trunk since then, followed by many
> iterations for bug fixes. Putting the old login code back in is a
> non-trivial amount of work itself, and will require its own integration
> testing with the other features.)

From what i have seen its quite possible to have the old and new logins
exist side by side.

I have already modified lluserauth.cpp to do it both ways by just
overloading the function lluserauth::authenticate() to accept either the
password or the webkey. (patch was attached to a jira, i did this as an
opensim workaround jira is currently stuck so cant give number).

Then it should just be a case of dropping back in the old xui login page
and the cpp and h file that drove that (with a different (file) name)
then a simple branch in llstartup.cpp can select which login to use.

Ok its not trival, but is just a case of "doing it" :-)

Is it worth having both login systems in the code? with a compile time
switch. If things are all backing up it could be a way to keep all the
code current with old and new login protocols but with out breaking too
many things?

Just a random thought

Robin