[AWG] further discussions of secondlife:/// (was Re: [sldev] [VWR] summary of VWR-4021 discussion from 2008-01-08 AWGroupies meeting & general hostname issues)

Dzonatas dzonatas at dzonux.net
Fri Jan 11 12:07:04 PST 2008

dirk husemann wrote:
> during zero's office hours yesterday (at
> http://slurl.com/secondlife/Grasmere/178/113/27 not
> secondlife://Grasmere/178/113/27, btw!) we had a chance to discuss the
> semantics of the secondlife:/// URI scheme with zero:
>
>     * the assumption that secondlife://Grasmere/178/113/27 addresses a
>       location in the LL grid is actually *wrong* --- according to
>       zero the correct URI for that is
>       http://slurl.com/secondlife/Grasmere/178/113/27 !
>     * the secondlife: URI scheme name is actually meant to only
>       address the secondlife client and control it, but not to address
>       location in the LL grid
>
> based on that context the apparently "kludgy" solution to use
>
>     secondlife:///app/login?...&grid=secondlife.zurich.ibm.com%3A9000&web_login_key=....

One suggestion I have not seen here is the use of alternative or paired
protocols, for example:

metaurl-secondlife://Grasmere/178/113/27

This would be we are defining "metaurl" (or whatever we want to call it,
but meta being metaverse) and the 2nd protocol is secondlife.  No change
is required to the secondlife: url protocol. The metaurl can be used for
other means, like:

metaurl-opensim://opensim.org/SomeRegion/teleport?x=178&y=113&z=27&web_login_key=ABC

or tunnels:

metaurl-ssh://totalprogramsim.net/Path/Path/LoginShell

P.S. doubt we can use the secondlife: protocol name if it will be
trademarked. probably overlooked