[AWG] further discussions of secondlife:/// (was Re: [sldev] [VWR] summary of VWR-4021 discussion from 2008-01-08 AWGroupies meeting & general hostname issues)

Dr Scofield hud at zurich.ibm.com
Fri Jan 11 13:27:13 PST 2008

Argent Stonecutter wrote:
>> the assumption that secondlife://Grasmere/178/113/27 addresses a
>> location in the LL grid is actually *wrong* --- according to zero the
>> correct URI for that is
>> http://slurl.com/secondlife/Grasmere/178/113/27 !
>
> Except it isn't. That addresses a location on a map that provides a
> link to a location in the Second Life grid. The SL client does not
> understand http://slurl.com, it understands secondlife://
that' what i wrote: secondlife: is directed at the client and supposed
to control it. it's not meant to address a location on the SL grid.

[...]
> And I think it it would be a really bad idea to break either existing
> links out in the wild, or to deviate from the common internet name
> syntax (appended, from RFC 1738). That is, if a URL starts with
> "scheme://" the next part should always allow a hostname.
i think we all agree on that.

> The best solution would be to take advantage of DNS and URL formats.
> Since the new login code is being postponed, it *is* subject to
> change, if necessary, because there's no longer any legacy code that
> isn't going to be modified anyway (when it's revisited) that depends
> on it.
personally, i don't quite like the DNS approach: at first i thought,
hey, neat idea --- but coming to think about it, i think it's not really
as it requires me to be able to add TXT records to my DNS entries. while
i know how to do that and can actually do that, there are situations
where that is not the case (joe's garage grid, DNS policies within some
companies, etc). i'd propose to instead have one indirection level
there: retrieve via REST from the hostname the login server. we can have
the DNS solution as well.

    cheers,
    dr scofield

--
dr dirk husemann, pervasive computing, ibm zurich research lab
--- hud at zurich.ibm.com --- +41 44 724 8573 --- SL: dr scofield