[sldev] Viewer Auth Postponed

Argent Stonecutter secret.argent at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 13:28:32 PST 2008

First, let me note that I'm not talking about maintaining the network-
level login code indefinitely, just the XUI login page.

On 2008-01-11, at 13:04, Kelly Linden wrote:
> Just because you can doesn't mean you should.  Maintaining this
> indefinitely would mean more code to maintain which is a Bad Thing.

True, but on the other hand the new login path requires a lot more
code than the old login path, because it puts gecko in the critical
path for login. Maintaining the XUI login page makes gecko optional.
This has a number of advantages.

* It reduces the amount of code in the critical path.

* It reduces the impact of problems in the very large amount of code
associated with gecko. Customers who can't login at all tend to be a
lot more upset than customers who can't use search and help and web
tabs in profiles.

* It allows a greater degree of control over the environment when
trying to debug problems. You can eliminate a whole class of problems.

* It improves viewer security.

If anything, I strongly believe the XUI login page should be retained
and the HTML login page eliminated. It's obviously your call and not
mine, but I would like you to consider it.