[sldev] [VWR] openAL wind generator WIP

Carsten Juttner carjay at gmx.net
Sun Jan 13 18:02:08 PST 2008

Dzonatas wrote:
> Yes, now it would be great if OpenAL and other programs would work
> nicely with ALSA. They all treat sound like the older OSS.

Hm, could you elaborate on this a bit? OpenAL has several audio backends
including ALSA. I use the dmix plugin-in to be able to open ALSA from
several sources and it works fine.

But for my personal experience, both of my soundcards (built-in Intel
chipset and USB) produced a nasty distortion (as if samples were
skipped) when used with OpenAL and the default settings. I had to set a
fix rate of 44100 in asound.conf to "fix" this.

Regards,
Carsten