[sldev] Get Avatar UUID by Name

Robin Cornelius robin.cornelius at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 11:28:51 PST 2008

Zi Ree wrote:
> Hi List!

Hi Zi,

> Is there a way to get an Avatar's UUID by providing the full name? I was
> digging through the avatar picker code and got deeper and deeper nested into
> the message structures, but I didn't find a suitable way to get the UUID. Any
> help is greatly appreciated!

The easiest and quickest way I have always used it to rely on the
various external sites that provide this service. A sample (in lsl) is
given on the bottom of this page

http://rpgstats.com/wiki/index.php?title=LlHTTPRequest

But as its just a http request, so you can do this from where ever.

Its not 100% accurate and some names may be missing but its always been
a useful friend to me.

I presume if you are hacking the viewer the search tools must search for
a name and at some point get the UUID? as they can show profiles etc. If
you want to use the viewer route (unless someone knows how to do it) i
would start searching down from the "search for person" control.

Robin (who probably knows nothing)