[sldev] Compile as installer

Robin Cornelius robin.cornelius at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 01:20:32 PST 2008

On Jan 24, 2008 8:49 AM, alexander treptow
<alexander.treptow at zweitgeist.com> wrote:
> How do i compile the viewer as installer (setup.exe)?
> I use winxp with vc7 / vc2003 and viewer version 1.18.2(1).

You don't.... well not with what is provided anyway. All is provided
is the source code and project files to generate the secondlife viewer
runtime. To actually create an installer you require an additional
tool, of which there are a great many but i have no idea if any are
free or not. Also in most cases an installer is not trivial and
requires a bit of setting up to build a working setup.exe that does
what you expect.

I know others have made there own installers using various methods.
They might be able to give further guidance on good tools to use.

Also be very careful if you are distributing files, there are a good
number of (non linden) files that have licenses that do not permit
redistribution; fmod,the voice stuff,the ttf fonts to name a few. So
you either have to distribute a "patch" installer that installs in to
an existing linden secondlife folder OR build an opensource version of
the viewer that has 100% redistributable components.

Robin