[sldev] Proprietary dependencies [2] (Re: Compile as installer)

Lawson English lenglish5 at cox.net
Fri Jan 25 19:05:17 PST 2008

Rob Lanphier wrote:
> [...]
> At a gut level, I'd much prefer to get rid of proprietary
> dependencies.  If nothing else, it makes my job easier, but I also
> philosophically prefer that we remove them sooner rather than later.
> I just don't feel like I yet have a watertight business and community
> case to make that we should perhaps take steps backwards in features
> and functionality in order to get rid of those dependencies.
>
> Rob
My own take is that things are so messy in the current client that
complaining about this kind of thing is futile anyway. Until the client
is factored properly any changes that are made by an inidividual are
bandaides on bandaides.

They might be expensive, horrible-to-create bandaides, but they are
bandaides nonetheless, and the amount spent making them is an order of
magnitude more than it needs to be.

And once the client IS factored properly, replacing proprietary
libraries with open source ones should be reasonably trivial, so either
way, its a silly discussion to be having.

Lawson