[sldev] Followup on the proprietary dependencies discussion

Rob Lanphier robla at lindenlab.com
Mon Jan 28 18:11:42 PST 2008

Hi all,

I just wanted to give everyone a heads-up on this conversation.  My
motive for kicking up a little dust in this area was to revive the
internal conversation in this area, and that is now indeed happening.  I
also wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything, and, as it turns
out, I had lost sight of a thing or two, so this was productive in that
regard as well.

Due to the nature of the beast (talking about legal issues), they don't
lend themselves well to public discussion.  The gist (and the delay) is
that we're going to need time to bring our relatively new legal staff up
to speed on the issues here.  Prior to doing so, if I participated in
the conversation here, I'd essentially be doing so without legal
counsel, which given the type of conversation, would be rather silly for
me to do.

So, I'm hoping to put this conversation on ice for a little bit, with
hopefully everyone understanding that there's a lot more discussion and
forward progress going on behind the scenes than might have happened,
say, this time last year.  I'm not sure if I'll have anything to report
at the January 31 regular OSS meeting, but perhaps we should put this on
the agenda for the February 7 meeting in hopes that there will be more
to say there.

Rob