[sldev] CMake preview available - please try it out!

Robin Cornelius robin.cornelius at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 11:06:29 PST 2008

Bryan O'Sullivan wrote:
> Robin Cornelius wrote:
>
>> Do we have a JIRA meta bug for cmake related things?
>
> There's VWR-2871:
>
> http://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-2871

Ok we can tag anything we find on there as a related task/subtask etc.

>> Hit loads of problems from the start.
>
> Well, yeah.  It's a first preview, after all :-)

My issues are normally caused by wanting to do things the debian way so
that's to be expected too.

>> Which BTW i have to add in APR_INCLUDE_DIR and APRUTIL_INCLUDE_DIR as
>> cmake told me i had to. But then did nothing with the resultant input
>> as all the .h files that include apr-1/apr.h are static anyway so i
>> still need the same build patches as i did before.
>
> Don't follow what you're getting at here.

Well the issue i have is that the apr header files are in
/usr/include/apr-1.0 and not apr-1 (or visa-versa, i forget right now)
on Debian systems. I though when cmake started asking for
APR_INCLUDE_DIR it was going to use this variable as a location to look
for the APR Include files, but alias it does not and the apr headers are
coded as they always were.

Now i am not sure if its possible to directly use APR_INCLUDE_DIR as a
subustition for #include ${APR_INCLUDE_DIR}/apr.h etc...

>> Now i have to patch the cmake file (as i did for scons) to stop
>> warnings being treated as errors due to numerous char * implicit castings
>
> What compiler are you using?

Yea i know, its not the version you use internally, i always use latest
gcc on debain unstable which on this machine is now 4.2.3. This is a
know issue with gcc and the source code anyway and nothing to do with
cmake directly.

What would be nice is a way of modifying the gcc flags so that -Werror
can be turned off if desired, not sure if this is a good idea or not? it
would save me patching cmake files.

I would love to be able to build with out any patching of the build
files, i think we are a *long* way forward now as there were numerous
patches i was applying to scons and manifest.pl. Which are now all dropped.

Currently the only patches I need are to remove the -Werror gcc flag, to
add in the openal libraries to llaudio/ and to add in gstreamer stuff
where its needed as a fall out of openal patch.  And as openal is a new
feature this is to be expected.