[sldev] CMake preview available - please try it out!

Phoenix phoenix at secondlife.com
Thu Jan 31 15:10:54 PST 2008

On 2008-01-31, at 14:45, Robin Cornelius wrote:
> It also seems a bit silly having the packaging handled upstream as
> then
> any little tweaks to meet debian policy for example, would require
> upstream patching/development time/ QA process. All of which is
> unnecessary if the packaging is just handled by the packager.
>
> I think what i am saying again is that if we can build cleanly without
> patching then jobs done for cmake, but a couple of little "debian" or
> "redhat" specific fixes (to move data locations etc) are no worries
> and
> just things that are expected.

Short reply: ok, we'll focus on the upstream issues. :)

Longer reply: We are using cmake to target build environments that
developers already use. That way, if you like makefiles then we'll
give you makefiles, if you like vs2008 then we'll give you vs2008
solution files, etc. Debian system image is as good of a 'developer
environment' as any other but the debian tools for building debs
already handles most of the grief. We would not focus on that
specific configuration unless it was a contribution which we would
gladly maintain but occasionally break.