[sldev] CMake preview available - please try it out!

Kamilion kamilion at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 21:07:13 PST 2008

On Jan 31, 2008 2:45 PM, Robin Cornelius <robin.cornelius at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am not sure that we need cmake to go as far as making Debian packages,
> that would be the same on windows as it rolling the installer too. As
> long as it produces all the binaries correctly and ideally without
> patching the build code that's great.

If I'm not mistaken, isn't there an existing target to roll a full
NSIS installer on windows anyway?

Personally, I use ubuntu 7.10 and Hardy Alpha 8.04 -- Often times I
have serious problems trying to get newer packages working on the
older system.
My laptop runs 7.10 due to it's atheros wifi, and 8.04 doesn't seem to
support ath5k yet. My desktop runs 8.04.

Most of the packages for 8.04 won't install on 7.10 due to library issues.
Case in point, Firefox 3b2: I ended up having to find a PPA overlay to
get a copy of FF3b2 for 7.10 on the laptop.

I would rather not have to track down and rely on a PPA overlay for
all of the unstable SL releases and I also would prefer avoiding the
tarball-extracted-in-homedir approach I currently must use.

I would very much like the option to generate full .deb packages
directly from the source tree.
Distros like Ubuntu will lag behind for up to 6 months on packages as
they move through Debian's QA, then through Debian Sid, then Ubuntu
will pick it up and include it in a dev release until it finally
filters through down to the stable. This is fine for versions like
1.18.5.3 which was released in november and have hung around on the
grid for a while, but we've got three MAJOR projects all gunning to be
included in a release tree this year: Windlight, Havok4 and Mono. I
seriously doubt debian or ubuntu will bother to spend the time
releasing the RCs, beta grid viewers, firstlooks, or other minor
releases that would vastly increase the tester user base on linux and
allow bugs, quirks, and issues to be discovered quickly.

It also opens the path down the road for Linden Labs to generate their
own .deb repository which we can just add to our sources list, which
solves autoupdate on debian-flavored linux by deferring it to the
package manager. Gentoo mostly handles it themselves by running the
build directly, and I'm not quite sure how Fedora goes about things as
I havn't used a redhat release since 4.2.

Plainly, it allows us hacker types to generate custom .deb packages
for all the 3rd party viewer 'hacks' that float around like nicholaz's
real easy.

Perhaps a secondlife-deb target in addition to secondlife-bin target?

In closing, I think this would be a good ability to have, when it can
be completed; but it is a convenience issue, so just take your time.
It would be nice to have before the april release of ubuntu 8.04,
though.

Bryan & Phoenix, Thanks for all your work on getting CMAKE available
to the rest of us.
It's much appreciated, even if some people are getting bent out of
shape over some issues.
Ubuntu and Debian are going to be big issues in 2008, as more and more
normal people start moving over to linux, and Dell, Walmart and other
general-public-friendly chains sell more and more linux-based systems.
Plan on it ;)

-- Kamilion