[sldev] [LLMozLib] Missing scrollbars and other notifications

Robin Cornelius robin.cornelius at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 00:46:10 PDT 2008

Hey,

I've done some more hacking on the xulrunner linked mozlib and got it
working a little better. I've hacked in some notifyinvalidate calls in
certain areas such as scrollby etc and key down, which although not
very efficient, means that the page gets a redraw now and it is
possible to scroll the web pages via the mouse wheel, the invisible
scroll bars or the up/down arrows. As these events are not injected
for web on prim type applications it should have no overhead normally,
only when using the search functions or browsing a web site in the
viewer so i can live with this.

Note this is when using an unpatched xulrunner/GRE NOT the linden
patched xul libraries.

What is annoying me are a couple of things:-

1) Missing scroll bars. Or invisible scroll bars (on the top level web
display). I'm not 100% clear why they are invisible in my incarnation
and i was wondering if anyone knows what can be done to make them
display. they appear to function and do what is expected but just
appear as a black area at the side of the window. I wonder if i need
to actually draw them myself as i don't have a toolkit on the window
as we have overridden the chrome window but i am not sure on this.

2) Extra notifications, is it possible to hook in to any exported API
that can give an event when something like a javascript function
reloads something. To things i have noticed, on the your viewer is out
of date on the web splash screen does not appear unless i generate
some screen refreshes after state complete has been reached on the web
page. I was wondering if there are any hooks that can notify about
this. Also on the showcase page, clicking on a new showcase loads in
an image via javascript and this is also not updated for the same
reason.

My concern is that there is NO exported mozilla API that does this in
any fashion which is why Callum added the toolkitobserver in the first
place and that i am kind of stuck where i am, which is usable but not
ideal and it is a compromise between a few annoyances with a standard
system xulrunner to doing what is 100% expected with a private patched
xulrunner.

Robin