[sldev] GSoC - mesostructures

Karl Stiefvater qarl at lindenlab.com
Thu Jul 10 22:13:56 PDT 2008

> Looks interesting, but I bet it would be a challenge to have a
> matching
> collision mesh.

yeah - i don't think we'd even try.  the ideal use of a mesostructure
is for details - the rocky surface of a wall, rough bark on a tree, an
engraved surface, or anytime you want to "break up" that super smooth
surface that traditional meshes give you.  (see the attached image for
a nice example of how well it works: the mesh of the model is very low-
rez - all the detail is in a mesostructure-like faux surface.)

we're also considering using them to improve the impostor system.

K.