[sldev] GSoC - mesostructures

Suzy Deffeyes suzyq at pobox.com
Sat Jul 12 06:38:03 PDT 2008

Hi Ravish,

Thanks for the explanation. This is exciting stuff.  Some questions:

1. I wanted to confirm, "3D texture" to me means volumetric texturing using
texture slices. Is that what you are using in your sphere tracing?  If so I
can certainly understand the need to stay at lower resolutions... :). Volume
texturing chows on texture memory (and in SL's case network bandwidth) like
there is no tomorrow.

2. The mesostructures wiki page says it is creating a C++ library to do
these techniques. Wouldn't these be implemented instead as GLSL shaders?
I'd also be curious if any of your maps are made up of floating point
values.

Again, great stuff, I look forward to seeing your work as it progresses.
Suzy Deffeyes/Pixel Gausman