[sldev] RE: Speed of adopting open practices (Re: IJIRA and PJIRA)

Lawson English lenglish5 at cox.net
Sat Jul 12 19:13:00 PDT 2008

Edward Artaud wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 12, 2008 at 4:53 PM, Lawson English <lenglish5 at cox.net
> <mailto:lenglish5 at cox.net>> wrote:
>
>     Seriously, its a set of protocols (very limited at the moment) to
>     facilitate grid interop, and it eventually will become the basis
>     for a [more or less] complete redesign of the server architecture
>     (I suspect) and  even further off, the client (I hope).
>

> That was my concern when I was posting about the need for a plug-in
> architecture.  Is it likely that OGP will yield anything useful for
> the client until this time next year?  Most of the actual coding will
> go into PyOGP, so by the end of the year, it'll be roughly equivalent
> in terms of functionality to where libsl (openmv) is today, but using
> the cleaner protocol and in Python rather than C#.  At that point, I
> suppose it'll need to be ported to C++ and somehow bolted onto the SL
> viewer, which will take another 6 months, and then we'll be roughly
> where we are today, but with a new underlying protocol layer.  At that
> point, we'll be able to start refactoring the viewer architecture.  I
> hope I'm wrong and it takes half that time.
Actually, right now, the login + TP is only implemented in a modded C++
viewer,  so your fears, while not groundless, aren't substantiated
either... ;-)

Seriously, this is all very new, and Pyogp isn't even having its first
meeting til Monday. I personally am sorta hopeful we can have a version
of Pyogp ready by the time the Open Grid Public Beta starts in 2 weeks,
but I think everyone else considers that wishful thinking.

I believe the viewer roadmap doesn't even take OGP into account. Not
sure where this leaves a plugin architecture, but you can talk to the
guys working on refactoring various aspects of the viewer.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Viewer_Roadmap