[sldev] Re: New Sculpty Features

Karl Stiefvater qarl at lindenlab.com
Wed Jul 16 08:42:52 PDT 2008

> Pardon my naivete (I'm not an expert on sculpties at all) but ...
> how is
> rotating a sculpt texture different from rotating the actual prim?

it's sorta "complicated".  by rotating the sculpt image, you
effectively change the order in which the samples are read, so you:

1) invert the normals (because it alters the "handedness" of the
orientation.)

2) change the layout of the texture coordinates.

but both of these can now be done by toggling the INVERT flag and
applying a rotation to the texture coordinates.  so Strife will really
need to explain why this is a "big win".

again, let me emphasize - the motivation of the new options is to
improve efficiency.  i'm failing to see how these extra options are
any more efficient.

K.