[sldev] Documenting the viewer source

Rob Lanphier robla at lindenlab.com
Thu Jul 17 16:00:56 PDT 2008

Hi all,

Here's the transcript for our open source meeting earlier today:
https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Open_Source_Meeting/2008-07-17

In the meeting, there was a request for more documentation.  We talked
about several things on this front:

*  The need for better comments - I think that this one can be addressed
by you all asking about specific functions and source files, and
submitting patches that add comments as you learn about files.  We don't
want to clutter up the code with statements of the obvious, but the
people who are expert in this code base aren't the best judges of
"obvious" anymore.

*  The need for better documentation on the wiki.  I'd like to focus
your attention on this page:
https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Viewer_Architecture

The page in-and-of-itself isn't as important as all of the info it links
to.   The "Viewer Architecture" page itself probably isn't above some
reorganization though, but most importantly, adding cross-links to
current information is something that anyone here could do.  For
example, there's also this page:
https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Viewer_Roadmap

...and it's subpages.  The subpages of each of these could stand to be
cross-linked.  Also there's this page:
https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Viewer_Software_Overview

....which kinda duplicates Viewer Architecture, and the two should
probably be merged.  A Linden can do this work (and I might just tackle
it), but hey, it's a wiki, and you all have the power.  So, any volunteers?

Rob