[sldev] [VWR] 64bit Nvidia GL Corruption (sometimes)

Robin Cornelius robin.cornelius at gmail.com
Sun Jul 20 05:23:28 PDT 2008

Hi everyone,

After beating this around in IRC (thanks Carjay), i wanted to see if
anyone else had a clue what is going on (possibly some graphcis devs?)

The issue is VWR-8194 that I and one other person i know is seeing. We
are both 64bit Linux NVidia, me a 7100 and Louise a 8600. Other people
with 64bit and Nvidia don't have this issue.

I have tried nvidia drivers 173.14.09 and 169.12 and both have the same
results.

Its related to the drawing of Silhouettes for selected objects by the
selectmgr and in particular void LLSelectNode::renderOneSilhouette(const
LLColor4 &color).

Now it seems that if mSilhouetteSegments.size() is > 660 corruption will
occur *everytime* This is only the case for tortured prims and sculpts
where the shape is complex so the twisting or sculpting adds a high
number of nodes. Linked multiple prims call the renderOneSilhouette
multiple times so it runs multiple gl push/pop matrix and all is fine.

If i create primms with less segments than 660 and select them its all
fine, if i clamp the for loop to 660 its all fine too.

I would guess that the gl push/pop matrix does not like too many things
on its stack at once? I have to wonder if this is present on other
systems but only causing very mild effects such as the occasional random
crash?

I have not seen this on 32bit builds at all. I am also not sure if the
fault is the viewer or the nvidia gl library (maybe just the 64 bit
version?) but this is also strange that its not been widely seen.

Anyone have a clue what is going on?

Robin