[sldev] [VWR] Crash on TP from LM on 1.20.14

Soft soft at lindenlab.com
Thu Jul 24 12:43:30 PDT 2008

On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 5:28 AM, Robin Cornelius
<robin.cornelius at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> 1.20.14 has hit a show stopper for me
>
> http://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-8310
>
> I'm crashing every TP from LM. The jira contains the gdb back trace and
> the patch to fix the issue.
>
> I've patched with null pointer protection and the use of array delete[],
> as array new[] is used so also memory leak there too. It fixes the issue
> for me.
>
> This just can't me another me only bug? or is my libc throwing up due to
> some kind of memory protection with the mismatch and detecting the
> invalid state?
>
> We may also need a new/delete new[]/delete[] audit. I know of at least
> one other (which is a whole other story).

new[]/delete mismatches are harmless with arrays of scalar types.
Witness the almost universal new char[]/delete mismatch in basic
string handling. It's good form to correct those if you happen to be
in related code, but please - nobody submit a single grand sweeping
patch correcting every array of ints.

On any complex types, those are landmines. An audit only covering
those sounds like a grand idea.