[sldev] Inventory user interface needs improvement (Re: Physical Object Prim Limitation)

Dale Mahalko dmahalko at gmail.com
Thu Jul 31 16:42:49 PDT 2008

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 10:57 PM, Thordain Curtis <thordain at thordain.com> wrote:
> An interesting solution would be to allow all linksets to become physical,
> but only use the first 32 prims as the actual collision model.

To do what you want, the inventory window must be redesigned to allow
editing the link list without first rezzing the object in-world. This
would be done by putting little [+] and [-] boxes in front of the
object/linkset name in the inventory window. This would allow you to
expand a linkset directly in the inventory window, and drag and drop
objects in the link list to change object ordering, to easily set
which ones primitives are the first 32 physical objects.

With the current totally inadequate inventory system, to reorder the
primitives in a linkset you have to: rez the object in-world, unlink
the entire linkset, deselect everything, hold down shift and carefully
reselect each part in order, relink, and take it back into your
inventory. (This is assuming you don't screw up halfway through
reselecting your 200 prims and have to unlink it all and start over
again.)

On an related topic, it is a major annoyance that we cannot edit the
inventory inside an object without first rezzing the parent object
in-world. It is even more aggravating trying to edit a single
inventory object that is several levels down inside the inventories of
other objects. Why can't we just expand a second little [+] in the
inventory window next to an object and directly view or edit the
inventory items inside that object, all from within the Inventory
window?

Since a fully functional object/linkset hierarchy user interface does
not currently exist in the viewer, I've created a JIRA for this, with
an example image of how this user interface might work.. :-)

JIRA: Need a full Inventory Hierarchy, to simplify linkset management
and inventories inside objects
http://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-8444

My image example of a fully hierarchical inventory/linkset user interface:
http://jira.secondlife.com/secure/attachment/17920/Full+Hierarchical+Inventory+Model+2.PNG

I am not suggesting implementing skeletal linksets, joints, or
changing the physics engine.. just merely making the viewer inventory
window support functionality that already exists in a halfway, kludgy
manner via rezzing objects inworld and editing them that way..

- Scalar Tardis / Dale Mahalko