[sldev] RE: Landmarks and Navigation Update 2008-05-29

Qie Niangao qieniangao at gmail.com
Sun Jun 1 05:24:12 PDT 2008

I've been trying to keep quiet about this (mostly), because I thought
it was just an innocent waste of time, kludging onto the UI something
more flexibly implemented by script (once LSL gets features again),
but now NAV has me scared.  If there is indeed a *hint* of a long-term
objective to remove LMs from Inventory, then that implies they'd no
longer be first-class assets, which in turn means they'd no longer be
available to scripts nor containable in objects.

And all this for the grossly flawed and depressingly self-limiting
Viewer=Browser analogy.

Please stop NAV.  Seriously, just stop.  This is on a path to break
much, much more than it fixes.  Re-assess what's actually needed for
Landmarks (mostly, they need structured content available to LSL, and
availability from Profile Picks).  Try not to fall victim to the
Viewer=Browser canard.  (E.g., the very last thing we need is to be
whacking the grid with "Back" / "Next" TP buttons!)

Then, before any UI design starts, make sure any changes apply to all
asset types and operations on all Inventory classes.  It's fine to use
Landmarks as a test case, but it should test something that actually
matters.