[sldev] GPL violation?

Cenji Neutra cenji.neutra at gmail.com
Sun Jun 1 07:17:19 PDT 2008

> From: "Dante Tucker" <danteferret at gmail.com>
> To: "Johnnie Carling" <johnniecarling at gmail.com>
> Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2008 05:00:13 -0400
> Subject: Re: [sldev] GPL violation?
> I don't even remotly understand the viewers license terms. But I would think it is clear this is not allowed.

Not sure which aspect you're referring to when you say "clear this is
not allowed" Dante, but I know that the
GPL certainly allows the sale of derivative works (binary and/or
source).  That's part of the 'freedom' granted in
all Free Software licenses.  However, if you purchase a copy then
you're entitled to the source of their
modifications (according to the GPL license).  So, if you do purchase
a copy, ask them for the source of
their changes and they won't give them to you - then they are in
violation of the GPL license terms.
You're also within your right to resell or give away that viewer too
(source included of course).