[sldev] Standard grid identifier string?

Sato Meiji t8 at pobox.com
Sun Jun 1 17:26:41 PDT 2008

Does anyone know if there is a standard way to identify a grid in a human
readable way? (i.e. a string).
Not just the SL grids (main, beta etc) but a way that would include other VW
grids?
For SL and opensim-based grids I was considering:

1) Using the shard (as reported by the HTTP X_SECONDLIFE_SHARD header) and
domain, such as "production.secondlife.com", "testing.secondlife.com", "
production.centralgrid.com" etc

2) Using something like agni.secondlife.com

Note in both cases they don't need to be valid domains (I'm using them as a
human readable 'relm' specifiers)

Is there a defacto way LL uses internally (or in the SL protocols) to
identify grids?  What about those out there who've recently added 3rd-party
grid support to the viewer - how are grids identified in config files etc?

Just wondered if there is an 'accepted' way in use or one emerging before I
reinvent things.
Thanks.