Plugins (Re: [sldev] GPL violation?)

Argent Stonecutter secret.argent at gmail.com
Sun Jun 1 18:59:55 PDT 2008

On 2008-06-01, at 16:06, Matthew Underwood wrote:
> For the most part the GPL allows you to use GPL'd code so long as you
> do not actually "include" that code into your binary with the
> exclusion of language libraries (like the c standard libraries).

Language libraries are not actually an exception.

Libraries shipped with the OS are, which is where the C library
generally comes in.

The meaning of "the OS" is normally treated VERY strictly by the
FSF... embedded implementations of operating systems like Interix are
not considered an exception, though they should be.

Yes, there are mechanisms to create cutouts, I've talked about some
on the past myself, but they strongly limit the potential for plugins.

> The idea is that open source apps get a free ride while
> commercial applications will need to fork out the dough (like they
> normally would anyway).

And what I'm talking about is the client-side equivalent of scripted
HUDs. Not things like the CSI client.