[sldev] Need to learn about object download to the client...

Lawson English lenglish5 at cox.net
Mon Jun 2 11:19:49 PDT 2008

Mike Monkowski wrote:
> Jay Reynolds Freeman wrote:
>> So I have been looking at the SL Viewer Architecture Wiki, and
>> babbling a bit as I page through 600 000 lines of source code,
>> trying to learn about the whens, hows, and wherefores of information
>> about objects in SL, that are near the agent, being downloaded
>> to the client.
>>
>> Stuff in the wiki is rather thin, but there are several possibly
>> promising pages that seem to be limited to group access; they
>> include the pages for Culling, Groups, and the Rendering System.
>> Alas, the wiki also seems not entirely clear on what group
>> can access them, or how to go about joining it.
>
> Sorry to disappoint you, but those aren't pages requiring special
> access, those are pages that are yet to be created.
>
> You can try searching the wiki or the archives of the mailing list.
>
> I started putting together a page on Culling by gathering bits from
> the mailing list, but I haven't got around to editing it.  I'll send
> you the rough draft.

I'd like to remind everyone to PLEASE let other people know what you're
doing. At the least, putting [[Category: AW Groupies]] at the bottom of
a wiki page will list it in the articles page for AW Groupies. Even
better, do that AND put a link to it under
https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/AW_Groupies#AWG_and_citizen_pages

How will anyone ever find what you have done to document the protocols
and so on if you don't at least do that?

If you don't feel it belongs under the protocol/communication heading,
please feel free to create a new heading, say, viewer documentation or
viewer architecture or something.

Thanks.

Lawson