Interoperability; was: [sldev] Call for requirements: ISO MPEG-V ...

Matthew Underwood sakkaku at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 15:30:27 PDT 2008

On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 6:22 PM, Mike Monkowski <monkowsk at watson.ibm.com> wrote:
> Matthew Underwood wrote:
>>
>> Having the
>> ability to represent other worlds via a set standard would allow many
>> unique opportunities.
>>
>> Imagine being able to watch tournaments within different games, being
>> able to chat with friends in different worlds, etc.
>
> This is where I don't get it.  Streaming video?  Sure.  Chat?  Sure. Even
> portals to other worlds makes sense as a way of transferring identity.
>  Those don't involve 3D objects or avatar meshes.  But why would you want to
> shoot an arrow in WoW and have it land in SL?
>
> Mike

I don't really see that happening.  For the most part that would open
up a lot of security issues (imagine 10 turrets being transported into
WoW, I am sure that would go well with blizzard...).  I think it would
be better to stop thinking of it as streaming "video" so much as
streaming the world and allowing interaction.