Interoperability; was: [sldev] Call for requirements: ISO MPEG-V ...

Argent Stonecutter secret.argent at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 03:02:18 PDT 2008

On 2008-06-03, at 03:34, Felix Duesenburg wrote:
> The main question to answer for any such thing to happen is,
> where's the business angle to justify such an effort? Creating
> interfaces and mappings between spaces that were never made with
> interoperability in mind is not a trivial task. Ultimately the
> customer, the user will have to pay for it to be enabled. Is there
> anything you want to do so badly that you'd part with your hard
> earned L$, PED, gold nuggets or real world currency?

I've spent hundreds of dollars on my avatar over the past three
years: that and land rent for the Coonspiracy is where pretty much
everything I earn in SL goes to. Why wouldn't I spend real money to
carry that around with me?

> And, even before that, what's the business advantage for the
> respective companies running those worlds?

Getting people who would have absolutely no interest in visiting WoW
as an elf or a thinly disguised hobbit to play the game? People
willing to pay a premium to have a custom avatar, but not willing to
pay a penny to be a dark elf no matter how fantastic a costume Sony
or Blizzard or whoever come up for it?