Interoperability; was: [sldev] Call for requirements: ISO MPEG-V ...

darien_caldwell at comcast.net darien_caldwell at comcast.net
Tue Jun 3 08:53:55 PDT 2008

From: Argent Stonecutter <secret.argent at gmail.com>
> On 2008-06-03, at 00:21, Darien Caldwell wrote:
> > It's kind of a moot point. People are already carting off content
> > from SL to OpenSim. Yes not Scripts, but everything else. You can
> > thank things like that 'Second Inventory' program for that.
>
> Well, things like SLICE. Second Inventory actually enforces tighter
> controls than SL. I got it to try and simplify sharing the stuff I
> create with my alts, but the restrictions it imposes make it all but
> useless even for products that are 100% mine. I believe they
> eventually gave up their scheme of requiring you to buy a separate
> copy of each of your alts, but by that time I'd given up on it... it
> was less work to set everything full perm, transfer it from Argent
> Stonecutter to Argent David, and reset the next owner permissions.

Well, I have had several people tell me Second Inventory makes importing items from Second Life to OpenSim a breeze. I believe Second Inventory writes assets to one's hard drive, and it seems these files can then be imported into OpenSim somehow. Perhaps they have found a way to circumvent restrictions the programmer placed within the program.