[sldev] Cache speed experiment & results...

Ann Otoole missannotoole at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 3 15:26:12 PDT 2008

Time Warner is going to try forcing metered bandwith on the cable modem community they serve.
So the ugly head of the end of unlimited bandwith use raises it's head once again.
(Presumably because of those few horrid torrent/movie downloaders messing everything up for the rest of the planet. Yes thats right, instead of closing off the pipes used by the abusers they choose to make more money by harming the community in general. Typical Time Warner choice as opposed to upgrading their antiquated copper wire infrastructure eh? anyway i worry that heavy SL users (such as content creators) may be about to lose any further incentive for bothering with virtual worlds...)

Has anyone measured actual bandwith utilization to the point people can predict their usage per month before they get slapped with killer bills?

The reason I mention this is because, although I am also a fan of reduced compression overhead, there will no doubt be trade offs required. Perhaps there is a way to make compression/decompression more efficient?