[sldev] Cache speed experiment & results...

Dale Mahalko dmahalko at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 18:10:13 PDT 2008

I do apologize, but it appears I'm conflating two different caching problems.

The one I'm thinking about involves enlarging the number of individual
files in the cache by 10 to 100 times. This leads to file search and
directory caching problems, and might need a separate partition or DB
management engine to handle hundreds of thousands of locally cached
files.

An optional fully-decoded cache likely would not run into these
problems, since it would end up being a second but identical directory
structure equal to the current one, except containing all-uncompressed
data. A 2x increase in directory structure size probably would not
significantly change the file lookup performance..

- Scalar Tardis / Dale Mahalko