[sldev] Cache speed experiment & results...

Robin Cornelius robin.cornelius at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 13:25:36 PDT 2008

darien_caldwell at comcast.net wrote:
> This reminds me of something I once pondered. Do you think the UUIDs are random enough, that one could rely on a comparison of only the first 8 digits as a sort of quick and dirty identification? What would the chance be of a false match in such a case?

Well for the 1st digit there is a 1/16 chance of a hit, for 2 digits its
1/256 chance for the Nth digit its a 1/(16^N) chance, so for your
specific question its 1/4294967296 (1 in about 4.2 billion).

Chance of winning the UK lottery is about 1/14 Million for a perspective
 BUT i can generate *vastly* more assets than i can ever buy lottery
tickets and they are being generated by a lot of sources. But 8 may
provide a useful sort providing you do allow for the possibility of a
collision and have a fall back to higher precision.

Either that or i've gone nuts and cant do math(s) any more, which is not
 an unreasonable assumption.

Robin