[sldev] Re: Landmarks and Navigation Update 2008-05-29

Cenji Neutra cenji.neutra at gmail.com
Thu Jun 5 10:01:27 PDT 2008

Thanks for the good overview Sarah.
Just wanted to chime in to mention that the SL client is increasingly
being used to login to 3rd-party grids in addition to SL - a trend
that will continue to gain momentum, especially with work underway to
make user selection of which 'grid' to connect to part of the UI (see
VWR-7531 for example).

While currently an avatar's identity and inventory (i.e. landmarks)
and the grid they're logged into are tied together, in the new
Architecture LL & the AWG is proposing, they are not (see
http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/AWG).  So it will be possible in
future for an avatar (belonging to a particular 'agent domain') to
login to a number of independent 'grids' (e.g. region domains).

That obviously has implications for landmarks, since the landmark
information would need to be associated with the region domain in
which it was created.  For example, if I created a landmark in SL to a
region named "Island1" and then quit and reconnected to a different
agent domain - say osgrid.org or centralgrid.com - *with my SL avatar
and inventory* (which isn't yet technically possible, but will be),
then when I select that landmark and click 'teleport' I would expect
the SL client to know it isn't a location in the grid I'm currently in
(even if that grid also has a region named "Island1".).  Perhaps it
should display an error, or maybe even re-connect me to SL to TP
there.

Just wanted this to be 'on your radar' so perhaps you can build-in
appropriate 'grid identifiers' into your data design which will aid
the transition to the new agent/region domain architecture in the
future.
Regards.
-Cenji.