[sldev] RE: Landmarks and Navigation Update 2008-05-29

Sarah Hutchinson sarah at aucreativegroup.com
Thu Jun 5 16:56:34 PDT 2008

On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 5:53 PM, Kitty <sldev at catznip.com> wrote:

> so it would seem that the history is populated only from
> point-to-point teleporting and nothing else?
> Parcel-to-parcel tracking (probably would have to based on a "user
> definable
> time spent on that parcel" to avoid clutter) would seem a lot more useful
> than only tracking tp's.

This is great feedback. Due to time constraints in our specific project, the
baseline functionality to be introduced is teleport history. However, the
team is actively investigating a better heuristic for how the history is
populated.

In the research phase of the project, we talked with Residents about the
qualifications for an item being added to history - and it seems to boil
down down time spent within a given Parcel.  I completely agree that this
would make the history feature a lot more useful. I know the Development
team at Vectorform is continuing to investigate the feasibility of this
functionality and once I have more information, I'll certainly pass it
along.

> What I would love as a history would be a trajectory overlayed on a sim
> map,
> with points where I stopped for several minutes highlighted as potential
> reference points.

Great idea! I'll note this as a future enhancement idea. It ties into
another idea we discussed which is that of a travelogue where you can record
information about your travels in Second Life and post that information on
the web.  Being able to see a map overlay would be awesome.

> We have a setting that determines whether double clicking a landmark
> automatically teleports you or whether it pops up a confirmation dialog. I
> personally like having the confirmation since misclicks do happen.

I've made a note of this and will bring it up during our next status. It
seems that a confirmation that the first time (that you may dismiss if you
wish) is a very good idea in this case.

> If the browser analogy has to be made, I would expect to be able to type
> "Shiny Things" there and have it fetch the location from the recent history
> or landmarks with an auto-complete drop down.
> ---
> I'm not sure if I missed it, but where is all the extra metadata stored?

I'll check in with the team on the auto-complete and extra metadata and get
back to you! I want to make sure I don't misquote the developers! :)

- Kippie