Hubris, was Re: [sldev] Cache politics: performance vs obfuscation

Ann Otoole missannotoole at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 9 15:03:57 PDT 2008

I'm aware of the challenge/opportunity. Thus why I don't have much to say about it in negative unproductive terms (anymore :P ).
My interest is in finding a way to increase both the storage capacity and efficiency of storing/loading while increasing protection against unauthorized access.
My gut feeling is what I want will require better personal computer hardware.

I do not think it is simple. This will require some creative thinking and hard work.

If everyone had a powerful 64 bit pc/os with 4gb ram and high end video card then maybe an in memory database might be an interesting concept.
But everyone doesn't have enough memory and processing power yet.

Oracle is moving in this direction for heavy transaction systems to get hundreds of thousands of transactions per second with resiliency between network disconnects.
Is the mysql effort doing anything similar?

I doubt a lot of low hanging fruit is available The number and size factor of an entire sim's textures is large. The more you store the longer to find it to reload. etc etc.

Doesn't mean we can't plan ahead. And try.