[sldev] Cache politics: performance vs obfuscation

Tateru Nino tateru.nino at gmail.com
Tue Jun 10 23:49:50 PDT 2008

Nicholas Chase wrote:

> Loom wrote:
>
>> I realise that you have used the word "perceived" in there but I
>> would like to suggest that usage caps are not going to kill secondlife.
>
> I don't know what the usage caps are link in Australia, but in my last
> house I had Direcway and using SL for more than an hour or two a day
> was impossible.  If I did, i would blow through my entire quota and
> would be unable to use the Internet AT ALL for 24 hours.
>
> Seriously.
>
> I'm currently on cable modem and breathing easy, but I'm getting ready
> to move again and it is literally a requirement that the new house
> have some kind of "real" broadband, rather than satellite, because I
> absolutely cannot function on SL with a cap.
On our maximum available plan, we can manage about 6 hours of SL per
day, depending on exactly how much data has to be pulled back. Twelve if
I keep to a skybox most of the time. Divided up among the family, we
have to balance our usage carefully each and every day to avoid running
short at the end of the month.

--
Tateru Nino
http://www.massively.com/