[sldev] Cache politics: performance vs obfuscation

Bruce Tong tongb at ohio.edu
Wed Jun 11 05:49:45 PDT 2008

1. There's plenty of incentive to make data transfers efficient even
without the notion of data transfer caps by ISPs. We all suffer
network lag, plus it all translates into capacity costs and queuing at
LL's end too. It's not a matter of "if", but of "how."

2. I agree with those who desire a modest attempt at "protecting" user
assets that might get cached. I don't think the bar has to be set so
high as to make it an extensive amount of processing.

If I find a .JPG sitting on my computer, I have no problems with
personal use. If I have to write some code or find a tool to decode it
(even if decoding it was trivial) then it tugs on my conscience. That
may not be rational, but that's how I feel. Maybe it's the idea of
sitting in court and testifying "yes, I wrote software to decode the
image" or "yes, I downloaded some software to decode the image" versus
"I just found it on my computer ready to use."

Besides, if they're really JPGs, won't some OS's waste time making
cute little thumbnails? :)

Wilton Lundquist

--
Bruce Tong