[sldev] Cache politics: performance vs obfuscation

Argent Stonecutter secret.argent at gmail.com
Thu Jun 12 05:55:15 PDT 2008

On 2008-06-12, at 04:18, Jason Giglio wrote:
> Pre-pending the NUL character, ASCII 0, onto the beginning of file
> will
> prevent it from being recognized as valid by pretty much everything.

Um, Jason, I already proposed simply prepending the metadata to the
file for that purpose. Yes, the additional XOR step is not much
additional security. We all know that. Storing the data in internal
format instead of a standard file format is a more important part...
both for obscurity and for efficiency. The xor step is free, though,
since it is just as fast as a simple block copy on any modern
processor, and you need to do that copy anyway unless you're
obsessively careful with alignment.

> I tested it, it works.  Nothing could open a jpg that I prepended
> ASCII
> 0 onto the beginning of.

I think "dd bs=1 skip=1" is probably insufficiently obscure.