[sldev] Viewer inventory management: duplicate/clone tool

JB Kraft kwerks.sl at gmail.com
Wed Jun 18 12:11:50 PDT 2008

One of the projects I have been toying with is a ways to address, via the
viewer UI, tools for inventory management. One aspect of this is how to deal
with multiple listed items referencing the same object, the same UUID. I do
appreciate that these are simply references but they do create load on both
the severs and client.

I have done this in LSL for my texture organizer and inventory box but it
seems to me the place for it, really, is in the viewer itself. Perhaps there
is a way to this this already but what I have been thinking of is adding
another tab to the inventory view that identifies and filters based on
duplicate references pointing to a single UUID. A duplicates tab, if you
will. This would afford the user another tool to cull inventory and I
imagine cumulatively, across the user base, could potentially alleviate some
server load.

My questions:

- Is this a sensible, worthwhile pursuit?

if so..

- does it warrant a JIRA?
- what other ways might this be implemented in the UI

I would appreciate any thoughts you all may have.

regards
JB

p.s. Apologies if this is an inappropriate forum or method of presenting
this notion. I am still stuggling with culture and procedure.