[sldev] [source] Purpose of /newview and libraries split?

Dale Mahalko dmahalko at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 05:48:51 PDT 2008

What is the reason for the dividing of some source files into the
/newview directory? I see lots of functional duplication across
/newview and the other directories, so it's highly unclear to me what
the code division is meant to accomplish. For example, there are some
sound-system files in /llaudio and some in /newview

I realize that LL is also working on simulator and asset code we
cannot see, and it seems possible that the code not inside /newview
may be utilized by these other components. For example, I would assume
there's a similar usage of the LLLFS and the APR in the simulator
code, as there is in the client code. But there's no way for an
"outsider" to know if that is true or not.

Are open-source programmers able to freely modify any component of the
libraries and /newview? Can modifying the source outside /newview
cause unseen problems with server/asset code that may reuse those
libraries?

- Scalar Tardis / Dale Mahalko