[sldev] Compiling/VS2003: Where is develop.py ?

Dale Mahalko dmahalko at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 21:26:56 PDT 2008

Well, I'll see about acquiring VS2005 or VS2008. Which one?

The main reason for using VS2003 is simply because the precompiled
libraries package LL provides is apparently not going to work with
VS2005/2008, as the wiki says here:

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Compiling_the_viewer_%28MSVS2005%29
=========
Note: The VS2003 libraries provided in the source downloads do not
fully work with VS2005 compiled binaries. They will compile with the
viewer under VS2005, but the VS2003 libraries are not fully STL
compliant. The differences of non-standard behavior in MSVS are the
known cause.

Alternatively, it may be possible to get the source files for the
libraries and build by yourself. See the instruction for VS2003 users
if you try it. Please note, however, it is not known that VS2005 can
successfully compile the libraries. You have been warned. (If you can
make it, please write the info on this wiki...)
=========

That is hardly the most inspiring text for a coder n00b just trying to
get a foothold on the source project. My current goal is to get it up
and running with the least suffering. :-)

If VS2005/2008 is now the way and the light, why isn't a precompiled
library package being provided for them with each viewer release? Why
only for the "old" VS2003? (Or is that library package now usable with
more than VS2003 and the above wiki text is wrong?)

- Scalar Tardis / Dale Mahalko