[sldev] Scripting projects priority survey

Dave Hillier daveh at lindenlab.com
Wed Jun 25 05:53:50 PDT 2008

On 25 Jun 2008, at 13:26, Bruce Tong wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 5:39 AM, Christian Scholz / Tao Takashi (SL)
> <tao.takashi at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> I wonder if everybody knows what those questions are about (like
>> scheduling or collection classes). I talked to some Lindens and think
>> I know a little bit about the background regarding scheduling and
>> ressource limits (at least I have an idea) but maybe this can be
>> elaborated upon a little bit on what that means and what collection
>> classes are (not everybody is a C# programmer).
>
> I'm not a C# programmer, but I assumed collection classes referred to
> things like a Hashmap in Java.

You're correct. That's exactly what it is. A search of ".NET
Collections" provides lots of relevant hits. Here is the documentation
for those classes:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.collections.aspx

> I've not put a lot of thought into this, but might there be some
> undesirable exploits if people are able to upload their own
> compilations? I guess I'm wondering if folks might be able to get
> outside of what I assume is an isolated or protected runtime
> environment and find data to which they should not have? I'm
> completely ignorant of the runtime environment of scripts, so these
> are probably unjustified concerns.

If you're interested in the security that Mono provides you can look
at this page: http://www.mono-project.com/CAS
Mono also provides a byte code verifier: http://tirania.org/blog/archive/2008/Apr-30.html
  This checks for lots of security exploits.