[sldev] Upcoming Releases: June edition

Bridie Linden bridie at lindenlab.com
Wed Jun 25 14:04:11 PDT 2008

Hello again SLDev folks!
It's time for another update on our release plans...

== Viewer: /"...and ya don't stop" ==/
That's right, take off your shoes + socks to keep count --- we're on the
12th iteration of the 1.20 Release Candidate Viewer. 1.20 RC11 will be
available for download today.  A showstopper was found last week that
prevented us from shipping.  RC11 has 4 more crash fixes and an
important fix to a major source of memory leaks.

We've been listening to the feedback on Dazzle --- specifically, the
request that the Dazzle UI be optional (See VWR-5059).  We've decided to
take the next several weeks to implement the ability to toggle between
pre-installed skins (Classic look vs. Dazzle) via a preference in the
Viewer UI and thus extend the 1.20 RC cycle further.

We had originally included skin-switching in our plans, but upped the
priority after taking a look @ all of the feedback we've received.  We
want everyone to be able to benefit from the many bug/crash fixes in
1.20 rather than have the fans of the "Classic" viewer look continue to
use the 1.19.1 viewer.

The work required to do this is shared across Dev, Rx and the QA teams.
While the complexity is fairly small, it will take time to update the UI
and confirm the changes.  We expect to do at least 2 more iterations of
the 1.20 Release Candidate before we call it Final, likely early
August.  Please continue to report any new issues in PJIRA and set
"Affects Version/s" to "1.20 Release Candidate".  We appreciate your
patience and help making 1.20 as solid as possible!

Heads up for Mono fans, 1.20 RC12 is planned to include the Viewer UI
changes for Mono!  Note, the Mono-viewer UI will be greyed out until the
Mono simulators are deployed in late July.  See below for details on
when Mono will be rolling out in production. For now, this capability
can be tested by logging on to the Preview Grid.

== Server: /"...keep on movin'"/ ==

This week brings us another server patch rolling restart.  1.22.4 is
being deployed this week to address a couple of security issues that
were identified and fixed.  1.22.4 has already been deployed to the
"Beta Server" channel on the Preview Grid
<http://blog.secondlife.com/2008/05/25/reintroducing-the-preview-grid-aditi/>
(aditi).  Your help testing out new simulators on the Preview Grid
before they hit the Main Live Grid is always appreciated --- be sure to
set "Affects Version/s" to "1.22.4 Server".  As of Wednesday 6/25,
1.22.4 has been rolled out to half of the simulators on the Main Live Grid.

The 1.23 Server is still approximately 2 weeks out as we take the time
to stabilize the tip of our trunk branch.  1.23 Server doesn't currently
contain any super exciting new code, but does include some Havok4 and
other bug fixes.  Expect 1.23 Server to hit the Preview Grid some time
next week.

The 1.24 Server is planned for 2 or 3 weeks after 1.23 --- 3 weeks after
1.23 if we decide to pause for a week and not release any new server
code. Drum roll please...1.24 is planned to include Mono!  Check out
Mono on the Preview Grid now:
http://blog.secondlife.com/2008/06/18/mono-beta-refresh-11/

Thanks for your patience + interest.

--Bridie