IMs and group IMs (was Re: [sldev] Frequent bugs with difficult repros)

Tateru Nino tateru.nino at gmail.com
Sun Mar 2 08:22:51 PST 2008

This will teach me not to hit Send too soon.

Actually, in its heydey, there were cascade failures on IRC networks
when the loads just plain exceeded what they could handle (or what, by
administrative policy, the hosts were willing to handle). Loss of a node
then the excess back onto remaining nodes, and the whole network go dark
in a relatively short period of time.

Lesson: No matter how nifty a (semi-)centralized design is, it is
possible to overwhelm it - where it's nodal, cascade failures also
become possible.

Argent Stonecutter wrote:
> Actually, it *is* possible to have a distributed message architecture
> that works reliably.
>
> IRC is one example.
>
> But really, weren't we going to switch to jabber for IMs? I know there
> were comments from Linden Labs on that at least a year and a half ago.

Tateru Nino
http://www.massively.com/